Pizitz Food Hall: Choza Taqueria

Burrito bowl with pineapple and pico de gallo and jarritos, a wonderful Mexican rainbow



A conglomerate of many slightly expensive restaurants, Pizitz Food Hall is located in the heart of a bustling downtown. Brand-new and modern, its minimalist aesthetics appeal to the millennial eye even if its food appeals to fewer mouths.



Atmosphere:

I'm only going to write this section once cause I'll come back to Pizitz multiple times. Everyone in Pizitz Food Hall looks bored. Everyone. The workers, the people in nice suits eating, random kids eating, the security guards, everyone. Gah If I didn't go with cool people I would just take my meal back to my car and chow down with Kpop blasting through my speakers. The entrances and exits of the main building are huge glass panels. The walls are white on the inside, and a lot of different flavors line the walls, surrounding a big square bar area.

Thankfully, there is an outside. It is surrounded on all sides by high but run-down buildings with exposed bricks. Quite a look. There are pretty trees and nice metal chairs and tables. The coolest part of this courtyard is the way it closes. There are closely-spaced vertical planks placed at a tilt to the sidewalk, but the entrance can open by rotating the concrete circle that 4 or 5 planks are planted in. It's super nice.


Actual Food: 

For some inexplicable reason, I was ultra-super jazzed about pineapple on this meal. Aesthetically, this bowl felt and looked amazing. The black beans, mostly red pico de gallo, yellow pineapple, lovely browned chicken? I was jazzing out from the colors in quadrants. Even though the container was small (~hand sized), it was weighty. I love weighty things. Trophies made of glass just have a heft of victory that acrylic can't buy. This container was small but its weight held a promise. I really cannot overestimate how beautiful this food was. Once opened, I realized all the food was on top of a moderately thick layer of rice. Essentially, I had bought a chicken burrito bowl from Chipotle, except there was pineapple. At the time I was disappointed, but looking back I'm not sure what else I wanted. Love and companionship? Once they figure out how to package emotional fulfillment into food I'm sure the world will be a fatter, happier place.

I spent 80% of my time eating individual ingredients, then decided I wasn't going to enjoy eating the rice afterwards by itself. Smashing everything together, I left some of the pineapple rice so that the rest of the burrito mash would be less rice-dense, and therefore more flavorful. The pineapple rice was my dessert, and tasted like sweet rice. Sweet rice is just carbs on carbs, and can very easily lead to an addiction you can't break as long as you have food in the house. Another example is cookie butter on a spoon. Technically carbs on metal, cookie butter has a strong addiction potential, and in my opinion should be classified as a Schedule I drug by the FDA.
Pretty sure that burrito bowl was premade, but it still tasted okay. 

Rating: 1/4 burrito bowl quadrants. Food's taste does not live up to its aesthetic beauty, and despite a nice environment, everyone's face bummed me out. PLEASE INCENTIVIZE WORKER HAPPINESS.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pelicana Korean Fried Chicken

Saw's Soul Kitchen and Saw's Juke Joint

Yamitsuki